06/24/14 9:58 am EST
With the 2014 NBA Draft just two days away, we though we would check in with the online mock drafts and review how Joel Embiid’s foot injury has impacted the “expert’s” for which direction the 76ers will go on Thursday night with the third pick.
Needless to say, Embiid’s injury has created a good deal of chaos for Sam Hinkie at the No. 3 spot. Prior to Embiid’s injury and subsequent surgery, Hinkie was likely going to draft whichever Top 3 prospect — Embiid, Parker and Wiggins — was still on the board when the Sixers went on the clock. Now, all bets are off and the Sixers appear to be a the wildcard of the teams in the Lottery portion of the 2014 Draft.
Thus, when I gathered the “expert” opinions from around the world wide web, I was very surprised to discover only two schools of thought on what Hinkie will do on Thursday night.
The first school of thought holds the clear cut majority opinion and it’s Australian combo-guard Dante Exum
- ESPN.com Insider has the 76ers selecting former Brett Brown pupil, Dante Exum.
- Draftexpress.com also has Sam Hinkie grabbing Exum at No. 3.
- CBSsports.com (Gary Parrish) is on the Exum to the Sixers bandwagon as well.
- The Sporting News (Sean Deveney) predicts the Sixers to draft Exum.
- Finally, SI.com (Chris Mannix) writes that the Sixers will grab Exum to form a backcourt that can create “havoc” with the bounce.
- NBCSports (Via PBT Blog) has Exum going the Sixers.
The second popular opinion on which direction Sam Hinkie will go Thursday night may surprise you as it has the Sixers selecting the now injured Joel Embiid
- nbadraft.net predicts the Sixers will take Embiid.
- Yahoo Sports (Marc J. Spears) also forecasts the Sixers will take a gamble on Embiid.
- Additionally USA Today (Adi Joseph) believes Hinkie will over look Embiid’s injury and make the former Kansas center a 76er.
So, if you are Sam Hinkie and you had to chose between a 6-6, 19-year old Australian combo guard who can’t shoot from the outside and an injury prone center who is raw, but reminds scouts of Hakeem Olajuwon, who would you select with the third pick in the 2014 NBA Draft?
You can follow us on Twitter @philadunkia.